Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Blog #1 for WS 405

Question A: In the video available on Youtube by Bell Hooks, she discusses the idea that the media perpetuates a "white-supremacist-capitalist-patriarchy." The term is not used on an individual basis, but on the institutional identity of American media. However, it is not an exclusive term to American media, but the superior American culture as a whole. I particularly enjoyed the sections on Spike Lee and Madonna though I will focus only on Madonna. She discusses her thoughts on the actions of Madonna through her popularity as a pop singer. In the beginning, Madonna identified herself as a feminist and tried to break certain boundaries for women in an industry dominated by men. Hook has a problem with Madonna once her career was already off the ground because, according to Hook, she embraced the sexism, racism, and patriarchal identity for women so that she could accumulate further wealth. I have no problem at all agreeing with Hook's assertions especially when analyzing the music industry. Even now, we are subjected to the Rihanna and Eminem song that seems to glorify domestic violence and all the while we have Lady Gaga trying to push herself as an activist in the gay community and feminist movement. I think she is just another Madonna waiting to happen once we no longer care about the ridiculous outfits she is so accustomed to wearing.
I believe it is very simple to understand why these ideas in behavior are perpetuated is due to a rather simple formula. Most of the money of the world is in the hands of a select few and the majority of them being white males. The reason why they perpetuate power and privilege is this manner is because they want to hold onto their earnings. However, I do not believe that the blame can be placed on businessmen; they are just as faceless as the corporations they represent. The problem is the consumer. The consumer of this material are young kids, teenagers, young adults; the people who hold little power beyond the manipulative abilities they have over their parents to buy them those iTunes tracks. The absence of power, certainty, and control in a society based on those principles allows it to happen to our youth.
There are a few comments I wish to make on the video. Saying that the word racism lets the white people retain the power by having the discussion centered around them is a stretch. I understand that in this country white were the oppressors and still to a degree are the oppressors. However, I believe her use of the word is too national in context. Also, what happened to general racism? I am pretty sure that no one can escape the reality of racism no matter what race you are.
Secondly, I cannot help but feel ashamed of my race when Hook discussed the idea of commodity blackness and exotic blackness. I do understand the part about light skinned black women being an exotic commodity in rap videos. I personally do not find black women in general attractive that is just a personally preference, not racist. I felt as if she was going to equate this idea of commodity blackness as the new slavery of the black women.
Thirdly, Spike Lee's films have for the most part terrible stories. I believe a number of his films he makes black people seem just as naive, irrational or cliche as the white directors of Hollywood. Maybe he was just adhering to studio protocol when it came to "Do the Right Thing" but that movie infuriates me.
Fourthly, I am white and a male. I believe she could have talked about a wider variance in racial profiling in American culture and sexual identity or gender. I do not know why I always have to check that white box nor do I understand that they have Asian American, but does that mean oriental, Indian, or Russian?

No comments:

Post a Comment