Monday, January 24, 2011

Blog #15

What will I do? What can I do?

I believe the simplest and most successful way of promoting a better world in the future is through personal action. After this course, I believe I have expanded my knowledge of power and oppression to a new level of compassion. I recently went to my first gay bar and I believe it is the best bar in this city because it had a wide range of people who were all tolerant of one another. I will make changes in my behavior such as: I will stop using the word "gay" to mean lame or boring; I will stop laughing at jokes that are racist, sexist or homophobic no matter who is the company saying them; I will try to convince my straight friends to go to a gay bar with me; I want to start participating in activism for equality for all varying sexual orientation; I will try not to let stereotypes get the best of me; I want to have more of a variety in the people I spend time with in regards to race, creed, sex, sexual orientation, etc.; I will encourage and support those who are different from the norm; I must credit this course for finally allowing me to understand the reality of trans-gender individuals and I respect their struggle now; I no longer am willing to be acquaintances with individuals who are intolerant; I do not want to live in secrecy anymore about my reality that I am attracted to both men and women; I want to speak out against oppression when I see it happen in person; I will not be activist who uses violence; I will use my music to convey my own reality and use it to help deconstruct this oppressive reality we live in today; I want my music to reach all audiences from the oppressed to the oppressors. I will spend the rest of my life trying to make everyone tolerate if not accept and understand how it feels to be different or make others realize how different they are from what is expected of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment