Friday, January 14, 2011

Video Project Idea

This is the blog post about my video presentation that is due at the end of the weekend.
My topic will be on heteronormativity. I wanted to do something about the discrimination of sexual identity in this country. However after further consideration, I believe heteronormativity would be a good subject to discuss because I recently came out as being bisexual. This has caused a number of problems in my personal life from being exiled by friends to my mother telling me that she did not care that I was attracted to men, but that sooner or later I would have to choose between being straight or gay, but I cannot be both.
My story will consist of personal experience of myself and friends who are gays, lesbians or bisexuals. I want to give a historical western interpretation of the binary sexual orientation. It will consist of a few news articles and youtube clips within the video discussing heteronormativity further.
I will be using final cut to produce my video. I have used it a few times in the past to help my ex-girlfriend with her film production projects though I am no master at the program.
There will have to be quite an amount of research to find the history of sexual identity in Western civilization. I do believe it will be very easy to display this topic for its true colors. Heteronormativity may be one of the greatest I am facing in my life right now besides my depression...
I have already began researching different articles and news programs about the discrimination. I was allowed to film inside the Manchester gay night club called 313 for an evening to get some transitional shots as well as being able to have one man tell me about his experiences with being a homosexual in New England especiallly New Hampshire. I want the video to be serious yet at the same time I want people to be able to laugh in the end about the stupidity of our assumptions in America. Thoguh I want it to be serious and funny, I want it to be taken for both because I believe the idea of heteronormativity is both serious and funny to think about it even existing in the first place.

No comments:

Post a Comment