Friday, January 14, 2011

Quick Blog #3

Hello everyone, I am a bit behind on blogs so I am taking this day to catch up on what I missed during this crazy past week.

1) An experience that I have had due to my social privilege was when I was underage during my freshmen year of college. I was invited to the party however my friend would not come to the door because he was already to distracted by women and/or the fact that he was extraordinarily drunk. The frat brothers at the front door let me in because they said I was cool while they proceeded to not allow the black students in because "no one here has any black friends, sorry, dude." I would not expect any better from frat brothers (yes, I believe in stereotypes for fraternity brothers).
2) It is very difficult for me to think of any oppression I have had in my life. THis is probably due to the fact that I never really thought about myself being oppressed before. I recently came out as being bisexual not more than a month ago. Half of my friends will no longer talk to me. One of my friends called me a fashionable fag. I asked him what he meant because I have no fashion sense. He said he meant that I was a fag just because it was cool to be different nowadays.
3) Classism is the number one subject among my white family. I have witnessed classism happen to one of my friends on the top of my head. He was dating a woman who was upper-middle class. She was use to having anything and everything whenever she wanted it. She broke up the relationship with my friend because he did not have enough money for what she wanted out of life. The woman was a classic example of self-entitlement when she did nothing to deserve a penny from my friend or any other man. People of a higher social status cannot comprehend living without an extravagant lifestyle.

No comments:

Post a Comment