Monday, January 24, 2011

Blog #13

What do I believe is the root cause of ageism? I believe the root of ageism comes from many things about our society. Firstly, we live in a fast paced globalized world that is continuously asking us to move faster, work harder, move quicker and do more things throughout your day. Fellow students and I have always thought it was interesting that our world involves spending 20 hours a day doing work and somehow we are supposed to have eight hours of rest. Secondly, in our society, we are consistently trying to reverse any signs of aging. Why? We seem to hate growing old. We fear it. I always thought it was a privilege to be able to grow old. I am surprised I even made it to the age of 21 years old.
Why is this particular "-ism" so seldom talked about? I believe it is because we try to ignore old people to begin with so why would we talk about the issue of being ageist? I know that I am completely afraid of old people drivers. I believe that ther is nothing wrong with having old people annually get checked to make sure if they can still drive. Would I be willing to do that as well? Absolutely! It would make the roads safer if everyone was made to do it. In the video "Once We Were Young," I could not help but feel bad for the old woman. She seemed to be completely ignored by most individuals around her. She was completely alone in her home and did not have any company besides her cat. I believe that our new 21st century society completely ignores the elderly. We will run out of medicaid, medicare, and social security before I will be able to use it. Our society tells elderly individuals that we have no more use for you as you near the end of your days so we do not care about you. It is disgraceful.

No comments:

Post a Comment