Monday, January 24, 2011

Quick Post #6

1) In my social sphere, it is comprised of a diverse range of aged people. In my family, it ranges from 6 months old to 84 years old. I wish I spent more time with my grandmother and my baby cousins. I am currently working at a kindergarten school so I spend every weekday around 27 children who are six years old or under. I love children because I wish I could be excited about everything like they are because I have clinical depression. When it comes to the elder, I do not normally have that same feeling. Most elderly individuals I have met believe in outdated or narrow-minded ideas and my elderly family repeat the same ten stories every holiday.
2) Why is our society segregated on the basis of age? It is simple... the impact society has had on varying age groups makes it nearly impossible to share what we are enjoying or have enjoyed and what we believe in because we are all from different time periods. How am I privileged? I can integrate well in our technologically savvy world we live in nowadays. I am also privileged because I have no limitations on my work abilities like say an elderly man would have to worry about.
3) I found it very interesting when I went to a gay bar and there were a number of middle aged and some elderly individuals who were living it up just like the young adults were. I find it interesting that the only place of tolerance is in a gay bar for all people. Well, I guess it is not surprising. How can we promote greater respect for all age groups? Have organized interactions with people from all ages such as the video game event I hosted at a retirement home I formerly worked at. One young staff member was paired up at random with an elderly individual so we could have teams of the video game Wii Sports. Schedule events that force people to be out of their comfort zone. DO not fear. It becomes fun. The video game contest was the highest enjoyed activity by the employees and the residents.

No comments:

Post a Comment