Monday, January 24, 2011

Blog #14

Trying to ask what makes a good activist to me is like asking what makes a good musician. A good musician has integrity, relentless, vision, knows what they wish to express, has true feeling behind the music and knows how to get their music heard by the general public. I believe these fundamentals are true to an activist as well. Fortunately for the activists, they do not have to worry about corporate greed corrupting their image. Activists are lucky as Howard Zinn said because activists have truth on their side.
What can make an effective and positive activist? First, you can never get discouraged. Secondly, you can never let the problem become to emotionally involved for you. Why? I believe it is great to be passionate about what you do, but when people let emotions get the best of them, they will say things they do not mean or completely lie to keep someone from asking more questions. I have always had a fear of being an activist. I believe in equality for all people as long as they do not want to marry animals, but I have a problem with the individuals who advocate for institutional justice. I find too often that people who are active in the political community have a rather pretentious view of themselves. Do not get me wrong. You should take pride in what you do, but it should not define you or allow you to consider yourself better than those who are not activists. Personally, I fear being tied to another's actions if I joined a particular organization to protest a particular issue. I am not a people person, but I am personable.
What activists do I admire? I have never really thought about that question before. Obviously, I admire Martin Luther King Jr., Malcolm X, Simone De Beauvoir, and all the students who protested the Vietnam War. I have never participated in any protest, not because I do not believe in anything, but because I feel like nothing will change while you protest on the T-Hall lawn.

No comments:

Post a Comment