Tuesday, March 30, 2010

New York Times Thoughts

Dover-- I'm currently reading all the available articles on what the new health care legislation will mean for my future. When I read "I'm tired of paying for everyone else's stupidity," I feel a little disheartened by the entire situation. I understand this week we should be reflecting on the basic principles established by "The Elements of Journalism" but this seems like a difficult task. Of course, a journalist's responsibility is to the truth though that cannot always be narrowly defined especially when key information is withheld form the public. The second element of journalism is the responsibility to the citizen. Now, this is where the articles of the health care legislation come in for two reasons. First, how can a report distinguish what is necessary for the public to know when there is presently so much speculation about the importance of this health care reform bill? Secondly, I guess it is also good that journalists provide such a wide variety of possibilities and outcomes for this legislation.

No comments:

Post a Comment